Sunday, April 27, 2014

Where Can I Find Supplies To Build A Homebrew Yagi Antenna

  Where can I find supplies to build a homebrew yagi antenna ? When I have been searching the internet for antenna building supplies I saw a variety of places. The problem is if you are building a yagi with more than two elements and an antenna larger than 10 meters it could get expensive. I have some old pieces of half inch aluminum tubing from an old ground plane antenna. The elements together are at least 9 feet long, which would be about 18 feet total length for one whole element. This would probably work out for a 10 meter 2 element yagi.
  Of course I will have to decide on how I will tune it for the SWR. I have looked at some designs and they are pretty straight forward. I may even be able to make it resonant for a certain part of the 10 meter band. I don't know, but can probably use my antenna tuner as well. If I don't need it I won't use it. This is all just part of the planning stage. I may make the boom out of .75 grey uv pvc conduit and either put some dowel rod inside for strength or maybe a piece of metal conduit. Either way that will support a 2 element 10 meter or smaller beam antenna.
  Since the weather here in Rochester New York is getting better I can start working again on my 6 meter quad project and my 17 meter moxon antenna project. Another thought was making the 17 meter moxon into a multiband moxon. I will have to kepp thinking about that one. Okay so lets get back on the subject at hand. Where can I locate supplies for a yagi antenna. Some popular places are DX Engineering or Texas Towers. I have also seen some by Hygain in the MFJ Catalog. There must be some local sources for supplies. The only local places I can think of are Home Depot, Lowes and ACE Hardware. Two problems generally come up, one the supplies are limited on hand and they can also be a little bit pricey.
                                                          I just love working on projects.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment