Friday, July 4, 2014

A Comunication Receiver Would Be Nice For The Ham Shack

  One piece of equipment I have been looking at to add to the Ham Shack is a nice communication receiver. I have looked at the various communication receivers in my ham radio catalogs. I have looked at the specifications and looked at the reviews on eham.net . For the most part they can be a little expensive, but maybe one of these days I will be able to save up some money and buy one. I do always keep my eyes open when I go to garage sales and flea markets. You just never know when you are going to come across a deal.
   The Yaesu VR-5000 seen above is one that had caught my eye. These are the types of equipment that may be cheaper or for a good price when used. If you do go with the used variety I would check the reviews on the particular seller. I have seen some Ham Radio Operators get either a dead piece of boat anchor with no way to return the item. The other problem is sending the money only to never receive the product. So always remember it's better to be safe than sorry. Here are some specifications on the Yaesu VR-5000 below.

  • Wide Frequency Coverage
  • 2000 Memories
  • Dual Receive
  • Program/Alarm/Sleep Timer
  • Real-Time Spectrum Display
  • Radio Controlled Band Search
  • VFO/Memory Scan
  • Smart Search™
  • Attenuator
  
  • 10.7 MHz IF Output Jack
  • Tone Control
  • Squelch Control
  • Display Dimmer
  • PC Port
  • Password Lock
  • Optional FVS-1A Voice Synthesizer
  • Optional DSP-1
  • Audio Wave Meter
  The AOR 8600 MK2 is another well built communications receiver that I would definitely recommend to anyone. It is a well built piece of equipment. I would love to have one of these in my shack some day. It has a frequency range from 100Khz to 3000Mhz, which is a very good range. Everything I have read about it has always been good. Here are some interesting specifications below on this unit.

  • Frequency range: 100 kHz - 3,000 MHz
  • Operating mode: AM / NAM / WAM / SFM / NFM / WFM / USB / LSB / CW
  • Memory channels: 1,000 channels
  • Twin frequency readout with bar signal meter
 If you are looking for something in a little cheaper price category I would suggest a Grundig Satellit 750. I own one of these Radios and I love it. I have never had a problem with it and would definitely recommend it. I bought mine when my Kenwood TS-2000 was out for repair. I was able to listen to many of my favorite Ham Bands using a wire dipole antenna. The price of these are in a good range as well. Here is a picture of the radio below and some specifications on it.
   
 


  • AM, FM, Aircraft Band (118v-137 MHz) and Shortwave (1711-30000 KHz)
  • Set 9/10 KHz AM tuning; set FM tuning range
  • Single Side Band (SSB)
  • 360-degree rotate AM antenna
  • Auto/Manual/Direct frequency key-in and station memory tuning
     

There are many other different communications receivers that are out there for sale. There are many good deals whether in the new or used categories. So I would recommend to do some searching and read as many reviews as you can.

Thank You for reading and have a nice 4th of July from Dan KC2YTI 73s.

No comments:

Post a Comment