Saturday, August 2, 2014

Buying Ham Radio Equipment Online Remember To Protect Yourself

  I have heard of a few different people buying something from places such as ebay only to either never to receive an item or just get a dead boat anchor. My advise is to always check the seller for their rating and any reviews good or bad. I had a friend who bid on something and then he was contacted by the seller telling him the shipping much higher than what was quoted in the auction on ebay. This almost reminded me of an illegal practice used by resellers known as bait and switch. In other words the seller gets your attention by a good price and he reels you right in. The next thing you know the resellers price has all of the sudden gone up. So my advise once again as buyers, protect yourself.  The same advise goes even if you are buying something new from amazon. I have even seen some computer repair services use the same shifty tactics.
 


Now as for buying off the internet there are some pretty good deals out there. Not everyone is a crook. We as Ham radio Operators have an obligation to help out our fellow Ham Radio friends in any way possible. That is what I try to do with my blog. I like to give everyone the different options so they can enjoy the hobby as much as I do. My Ham Shack right now is fairly simple. I use a Kenwood TS2000 and a 10 meter to 80 meter dipole antenna. I have my MFJ SWR Power Meter and my MFJ 993b Antenna Tuner. I tend to do much more listening then I do talking due to keeping myself pretty busy with family, blogs and work. I am still working on my 6 meter quad project and my 17 meter moxon project. I kind of got stopped for awhile when a tent was put up in the area where these antennas were going to go. Of course the weather and bees have not been cooperating with me so far this year. We are thinking of looking for a different house with some good acreage so I can put up my other antennas. Oh well it is best to take it as it comes.
  Recently I have been looking at various mobile ham radios on the internet in the used category. I generally look and keep an eye on something that interests me. I also try to make sure it fits in my price range. At the moment that price range would be cheap Hi Hi. I think I may try to save more money so I can invest in a better mobile radio. I really would like a mobile radio that covers the High Frequencies as well as UHF and VHF. I may just have to settle for a 2 meter mobile radio and advance in time. There are radios out there that are for parts or for repair. If you are into repairing your own radio I say go for it. Who knows the problem with the radio may be very simple. Plus it is an excellent learning project and that is what the hobby is about, besides the help we can give others.
  Now the problems with buying off the internet is not only associated with ebay and amazon in certain circumstances. It can be from any reseller on the internet. I remember buying parts for a computer that I was building quite a few years ago. I had nothing but problems with what I bought. I did some research and found a web site called resellerratings.com. I check the web site out and found the place where I had bought the parts from. To my amazement I found that a lot of other people had the same problem. So when I bought other parts I checked out resellerratings.com and never ran into a problem like that again. Well I hope this information is helpful to everyone out there.
  Thank You for reading from Dan KC2YTI  73s .    

No comments:

Post a Comment