Sunday, December 21, 2014

Building A Scanner Antenna For My Uniden Bearcat Scanner

  I am building a antenna for my Uniden Bearcat Scanner. It is just a simple vertical antenna. I am going to insert it into a pvc tube with an eye bolt at the top so I can hang it off of something outside. I could hang it off my mast mounted to my chimney. That is where I have the peak of my dipole antenna mounted. That would probably be the highest point. It is nothing fancy, but it may just do the job.
  I did have to use a SO239 Chassis Connector to solder a heavy gauge wire into. The wire is the vertical element and it approximately 22 inches long.  I got the idea from this website http://garcohio.net/anten.html . I did also go to http://www.ve3sqb.com/ to look for information. There are plenty of other websites on the internet as well to locate antenna calculators. You do want to use a good gauge wire heavy enough so it does not bend over. If you want it to stay steady in the pvc tube use some memory foam filler that come in a spray can.
  Attach the SO239 to a 1 1/2 inch pvc end cap. You will have to drill various holes. One large hole for the barrel of the SO239 to go through. There are 4 screw hole in the SO239 and you can put bolts through to hold it in place. You could also use these to attach 4 ground plane radials. I may just use rubber silicone and some small sheet metal screws to keep the end cap in place. If you use pvc cement you can not take it back apart. I will use pvc cement on the top cap and some rubber silicone to seal around the top end cap.
  One I get it together I will test it to see how it functions. I will try to take some photos, but it is a very simple antenna. This makes for a nice easy project to try.
  Thank You for reading and Happy Holidays.

No comments:

Post a Comment