Monday, January 19, 2015

Ham Radio

  

                                                                HAM RADIO
  Ham Radio is one of those hobbies that have so many directions to go in it may be difficult to choose. There are those that are happy just listening to the various bands and frequencies. For me that happens quite a bit, because I am working on the computer most of the time. Yes I am most likely working on one of my many blogs. I just happen to find it enjoyable by trying to find out just how far away I may be able to hear someone. Maybe one of these days when it's quiet in the house I may get in there and do some talking. I am really not interested too much in being a dx contester. I am not saying there is anything wrong with it, it's just not what I do.


 
There are those of us Hams that look for the emergencies, so we can get in there and help in any way possible. To me I think that the people that help in emergencies should all be up for an award and be recognized. One of my favorite parts of the ham radio hobby are designing and building ham radio antennas. I love watching videos that give me an idea and then I can add my own ideas. That way I can see if my ideas can make something better. Then I can share it so someone else can enjoy it or make it better.
  I also love the electronic part of things in Ham Radio. Yes ever since my days of studying Electrical Engineering in College and working as an Electronic Technician for over 11 years. Of course I have been working as a computer technician since 1996 when I made a career change. I still find time to work on many different electronic
projects. In ham radio you may always be repairing and just be keeping your Ham Radio Equipment in excellent operating shape. Your Ham Radio Shack is your pride and joy. It may be very simple and then it can be very complex. There are also many different project kits for Ham Radio that you can build. There are even some Ham Radios where you can buy all the parts and assemble it yourself. If you are going to enjoy this part of the Ham Radio Hobby I would invest in some Electronic Repair Equipment such as an oscilloscope,  digital multimeter, power supply as well as other Electronic Equipment.

If you want to hombrew your ham radio antennas there are plenty of excellent books for building antennas. There are an unbelievable assortment of supplies to build antennas out of. Anything from building Moxon Antennas with PVC Pipe, Crappie Fishing Poles and Wire. You can buy the Aluminum Tubing to build your Yagi Antenna out of from places such as DX Engineering. There are also quite a few different Antenna Building programs on the internet that are free. You can also find plenty of antenna calculators to aid in the design of your ham antenna. Check out youtube for many Ham Radio Operators that are building Ham Antennas and offering loads of advise. Basically the sky is the limit in the Ham Radio Hobby.
  There are some things that you will need to get started in Ham Radio. You will need a Ham Radio License for the different ham bands to be able to operate on. You will start out with your Technician License, then your General License and then if you decide go for the Extra License. There are plenty of places on the internet to get all kinds of free study material or you can go for classes at your local ham radio club. You can also join your local Ham Radio Club and make all kinds of friends. Maybe you may want to become one of the people that like to teach young children as well as others about the Ham radio Hobby. There are plenty of excellent books to learn from.
  There are many more ways to go in the Ham Radio Hobby I just can not cover them all. You can check out the other posts on my blog as well as my other blogs for books and information.
  Thank You for reading from Dan KC2YTI 73s. 

No comments:

Post a Comment